In this Salesforce chatter tutorial, we are going to discuss a chatter feature in Salesforce, where we will learn to create a chatter group in Salesforce. It is possible to create a Chatter group in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic editions.
Chatter group in Salesforce
In Salesforce, we have a feature called Chatter that allows users to collaborate on a single platform. In chatter, users from the same organization can communicate and collaborate with each other on the same platform.
In Chatter we can also create groups for users where users can interact and collaborate in a specific group. These Chatter groups are classified as either public or private groups, public groups can be accessed by anyone but private groups can only be accessed by group members, and we can also allow customers to view the activities of the Chatter group.
While working as a system admin for an organization that uses Salesforce as their primary CRM tool to manage customers’ data and activities, I was once asked to create a chatter group for the Sales team where they can have discussions, share records, and collaborate with each other.
In the below examples, I will explain the method of creating a new Chatter group in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic respectively.
Create Chatter Group in Salesforce Lightning
To create a Chatter group in the Salesforce Lightning version, navigate to the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning and follow the below steps.
1. On the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning, click on the App Launcher, search chatter, and select Chatter under the heading Items.
2. In the Chatter, go to the left sidebar, and click on the “+” icon of RECENT GROUPS to create a chatter group.
3. As we click on the “+ ” icon, a pop-up window will appear and here we will enter the details for the new Chatter group.
In the Name field, enter the name of the group and add a description for the chatter group in the text area of the Description field.
4. Scroll down in the same window and select Owner for the chatter group. In the Access Type field select the access for this group as Private or Public.
You can also allow customers to this group by activating the checkbox Allow Customers. After entering the required fields click on Save & Next button.
5. In this step, you can add an image to the Chatter group, and for that click on the Add image button and upload an image. After adding the image, click on the Next button.
6. In this step, we will add members to the group. To add members, click on the Add button adjacent to the people’s name, and we can also select the status of a member or manager in the group.
After adding members to the chatter group, click on the Done button.
As we click on the done button a Chatter group will be created as shown in the below picture and here we can Post, add polls, and ask questions.
Along with this, we can also manage members, files, and records in this Chatter group.
Now we have successfully created a Chatter group in Salesforce Lightning with the help of the above steps.
Create Chatter Group in Salesforce Classic
Create a Chatter group in Salesforce Classic, login to your Salesforce developer account, switch to the classic version, and follow the below steps.
1. On the Home page of Salesforce Classic, click on the Chatter tab.
2. In the Chatter window, go to the left sidebar and click on Groups.
3. In the chatter groups window, click on the New Group button to create a group.
4. In this step, we will enter the information in the required fields to create a new Chatter group.
- In the Group Name field, write the name of the Chatter group. For example, I have named it as Daily Updates.
- Enter the description for the new Chatter group in the text area of the description field.
- In the Group Access section, you can select the access for the group by activating the radio button Public or Private.
- At last click on the Save button.
As we click on the Save button the Chatter group will be created and now we will add members and an image to the chatter group.
5. To add an image to the chatter group, click on the Add Photo button on the left sidebar. After adding the image click on the Add Members under the heading Members on the right-hand side.
6. In this step, select the members to add to the chatter group. To add a member, click on the Add button adjacent to the member’s name. After selecting the members click on the Done button.
Now we have also added members to the chatter group and we can also add, remove, or change the roles of these members.
Now we have successfully created a new Chatter group in Salesforce Classic with the help of the above steps.
In this Salesforce tutorial, we have learned about creating a chatter group in Salesforce classic and lightning editions. In addition to this, we have also learned about adding members and images to the chatter group.
You may like to read:
- How to create Chatter Streams in Salesforce
- Create a Free Customer Chatter User in Salesforce
- How to Create Chatter Group in Salesforce
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.