In this Salesforce tutorial, I will explain how to create a user in Salesforce step by step.
Presently, I am working as an administrator in a company and it is my responsibility to carry out user management activities including adding and editing users, granting permissions, resetting passwords, etc.
We will cover these topics in this Salesforce Tutorial.
- What is a user in Salesforce
- What are the guidelines for creating users in Salesforce
- How to create a user in Salesforce lightning
- How to create a user in Salesforce classic
There are two ways, to create a user in Salesforce classic as well as lightning. In Salesforce, we can create a single user or also multiple users at a time. But in this article, we will focus on single-user creation in Salesforce.
What is a User?
In simple terms, anyone that logs into Salesforce is considered a user. Users are company personnel who require access to company records, such as managers, directors, IT analytics, etc.
In Salesforce, every user has a user account. The user is identified by their user account. And the services and information they can access are determined by their user account settings.
In Salesforce, each user account includes the minimum of the following:
- Username: In Salesforce, to uniquely identify the user, a username is used.
- First and Last Name: It is simply the first name and last name of the user.
- Email Address: It is the user’s email address, which is used for communication purposes.
- License: Which features a person can access in Salesforce are determined by their licensing.
- Profile: What users can do in Salesforce is based on their profiles. They provide a set of rights that allow access to specific records, fields, tabs, and objects. There can only be one profile per user.
- Role (optional): Based on their position in the job hierarchy, roles control what users can view in Salesforce. All of the data that belongs to users below them is visible to users at the top of the hierarchy. And users at lower levels cannot see data belonging to users at higher levels or in other branches. Although roles are optional, each user is limited to one.
Only the Professional, Enterprise, Unlimited, Performance, and Developer editions of Salesforce have access to roles.
What are the guidelines for creating users in Salesforce?
Here are some guidelines that help us while creating users in Salesforce.
- Username: Each user must have a unique username throughout Salesforce organizations.
- Username Format: Users don’t have to use an actual email address, but they must have a username that resembles an email address. They are free to use their email address if they think that it is distinct across all Salesforce orgs.
- Email: Different users may have the same email address. Example: All the employees of the company can use the official email address of the company as an email.
- Passwords: Users must modify their passwords before logging in for the first time.
- Login Link: Users may use the login URL in the confirmation email just once. If a user follows the link and does not set a password, the admin must reset the user’s password before they can log in.
How to create user in Salesforce lightning?
Salesforce Lightning is the updated version of the well-known CRM, that offers users a more user-friendly interface than Salesforce Classic as well as cutting-edge capabilities like custom branding and activity timelines.
Salesforce Developer Side
So, if you want to learn how to create a user in salesforce lightning edition follow these steps:-
Step 1: From Setup, in the Quick Find box, enter Users, and then select Users.
Step 2: Click New User to add a single user.
Step 3: Enter the General Information of the user. Make sure the username is unique in the form of an email address. By default, the username and email address same.
Step 4: Specify the Role, User License, and Profile for applying restrictions on the user.
Step 5: Additionally, we can add a mailing address, local settings, approver settings, etc to create users with detailed information.
Step 6: Click on Save.
Step 7: The user is created successfully and its shows all the details of the users.
Salesforce Internal User Side
Step 1: It will successfully send the mail to the Email that we fill up while creating the user for verifying an account. Tell, the user to check their mail and verify the account.
Step 2: On clicking on Verify Account, it asks the user to reset the password. Click on the Reset Password button and it redirects to the change password page.
Step 3: Create the new password as per the guidelines and also set the security questions.
How to create user in Salesforce classic
Salesforce Classic served as the CRM platform’s user interface prior to the Lightning release. We can see right away that Salesforce Classic is not a current web UI when we first look at it. It is incredibly condensed and text-heavy, with little emphasis on icons and graphics.
Salesforce Developer Side
So, if you want to learn how to create a user in Salesforce Classic follow these steps:-
Step 1: Select your avatar (👩🚀) by clicking it in the top right corner of the screen. Select Salesforce Classic by clicking.
Step 2: Click on the Setup to the right of your salesforce page.
Step 3: Move the cursor to Administer on the left of your salesforce page. Click on the Manage Users dropdown (⬇) list and select the Users.
Step 4: Click New User to add a single user.
Step 5: Enter the General Information of the user. Make sure the username is unique in the form of an email address. By default, the username and email address same.
Step 6: Specify the Role, User License, and Profile for applying restrictions on the user.
Step 7: Additionally, we can add a mailing address, local settings, approver settings, etc to create users with detailed information.
Step 8: Click on Save.
Step 9: The user is created successfully and its shows all the details of the users.
Salesforce Internal User Side
Step 1: When a user is created, an email is given out that will be used to send a notification to verify their account. Tell, the user to check their mail and verify the account.
Step 2: When the user clicks on Verify Account, it prompts them to change their password. The screen where you can update your password is displayed when you click the Reset Password button.
Step 3: Set the security questions and create a new password in accordance with the rules.
You may also like to read the following Salesforce tutorials.
- How to Create Record Type in Salesforce
- Create community in Salesforce Lightning
- How to delete schema builder in salesforce
- How to Create a related list in salesforce
- How to Reset a User Password in Salesforce
In this tutorial, we have learned what is user and what are guidelines for creating users are. Also, we have covered how to create a user in Salesforce. This can be performed on both salesforce lightning and salesforce classic.
Also, we have covered these topics:
- What is a user in Salesforce?
- What are the guidelines for creating users in Salesforce?
- How to create a user in Salesforce classic?
- How to create a user in Salesforce lightning?
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.