In this salesforce tutorial, we will understand how to create document in salesforce.
Document in salesforce holds the information like contents in the form of PDFs, and images. While creating a custom object the icon or tab style I wish to provide was not available in the predefined list of tab styles.
So I uploaded my own tab style in the document and then created my own tab style for the object in salesforce all this was possible because of the document in salesforce.
In this tutorial, we will learn how to create a document in salesforce. Also, we will cover these points.
- How to Create Document in Salesforce
- How to create content document in salesforce
- How to create document folder in salesforce
- How to upload content in document in salesforce
How to Create Document in Salesforce
Salesforce is an advanced CRM tool that helps companies in creating and maintain healthy relationships with customers, prospects, and partners.
In spite of competitors, Salesforce CRM always stands out because it provides the freedom to create and modify objects as per the need of the business. No other CRM to date is as flexible as salesforce CRM is.
The document in salesforce allows users/developers to store the files and images that can be used later in a salesforce tool.
Suppose a hypothetical company – Colorado Jeans headquartered in Colorado, United States wants to use special icons for the custom objects in their salesforce tool. Then they can upload all of the icons in the documents and then use them while creating an object.
Wondering how to create a Document in Salesforce? Follow these steps: –
Step 1: The option is hidden in salesforce lightning so switch to salesforce classic to easily create a document in salesforce.
Click on the profile icon present in the top-right corner of the browser and from there click on Switch to Salesforce Classic.
Step 2: Click on the Plus icon present on the navigation bar. Below you will see the list of all the Apps and tabs.
Step 3: Search for Documents using the find option (Ctrl + F) or you can keep scrolling until you find the Document object in salesforce. Click on the Document object to open it.
Step 4: From the document object dashboard, you can toggle between the folders, edit the existing folder, create a new folder, and add new data to the document.
So in this way, we have learned how to create a document in salesforce. Next, we are going to learn how to create a new folder in salesforce.
How to create document folder in salesforce
The need for creating a new document folder can be understood with the example of folders on our laptop or working machine. We create folders on our machine to organize the files.
Similarly to store the files related to specific custom objects, a new folder is created in salesforce. Do you want to learn how to create document folder in salesforce? Follow these steps: –
Step 1: From the salesforce Document object dashboard, click on the Create New Folder. In case you are unable to find the document object dashboard then check our previous section – How to Create Document in Salesforce
Step 2: Provide a Document Folder Label and the same name will be automatically added to the Folder Unique Name.
For example, Document Folder Label is USA Candles then the same will be for the Folder Unique Name. But you can change it if required. Generally, the Document Folder Label is close to the object name.
- Public Folder Access: Set to read only if you don’t want the user to edit the document, else set it to Read & Write.
- All users of salesforce will be able to view the folder if the radio button – This folder is accessible by all users is selected.
- This folder will be accessible to the creator only if the radio button This folder is hidden from all users is selected.
- This folder will be accessible to only those users which are mentioned in the below list if the radio button is set to – This folder is accessible only by the following users.
Click on the save button to apply the changes, you can check the folder from the main document dashboard dropdown.
So in this way, we have learned how to create a new folder in salesforce. This new folder can be accessed from classic and lightning experiences.
How to create a content document in salesforce
So far we have understood how to access the document in Salesforce and how to create a folder in salesforce. In this section, we will learn how to create content documents in salesforce.
I will show how to upload an image document in salesforce. This image document is being used in our other blog on How to set tab style in salesforce. There this image is used as an icon for the custom object in salesforce.
Want to learn how to create content document in salesforce? Follow these steps: –
Step 1: From the Document Home page Select the Folder name from the dropdown. We selected New York Times and then clicked on Go button next to it.
Step 2: Click on the New Document button to upload content in salesforce.
Step 3: Enter the details of the document you want to upload. To explain things better I have uploaded the screenshot with the steps and all the steps are explained below.
Following are the explanation of the steps mentioned in the above image: –
- Document Name: give a name to the document.
- Document Unique Name: In most cases, this is the same as the document name which is why it is auto-set. But you can change it if required.
- Indicate Document is Internal: If checked then users shouldn’t share the file outside the org.
- External Available Image: Check it so that the file can be used in other objects.
- Folder: Change folder from New York Times to others if required.
- Description: the description states that the image size is less than 20k.This will help the user to choose the image wisely in case of size-restricted fields.
- Keywords: Keywords help in finding the document easily.
- Select the File: You can either upload the file or provide a link to an image.
Please note – a quota error will appear in case the document size is greater than the available space in salesforce.
- The final step is to click on the save button to apply the changes.
Congratulations, you have successfully created a content document in salesforce.
The Document in salesforce is used to store the data that can be used in any part of the salesforce. It is similar to storing data and then using it as and when required. In this tutorial, we have learned how to create a document in salesforce. Also, we have covered these points.
- How to create a document in Salesforce
- Create a document folder in salesforce
- How to Create Content Document in Salesforce
You may like the following salesforce tutorials:
- How to use schema builder in salesforce
- How to Bulk Add Leads in Salesforce
- Create a Quote in Salesforce CPQ
- How to Merge Contacts in Salesforce?
- How to create an event in Salesforce Lightning
- How to create Approval Process in Salesforce
- How to Create an Opportunity in Salesforce
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.