In this Salesforce tutorial, we will learn about creating a process with Process Builder in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic edition, and along with that we will discuss the uses and functionalities of a Process Builder.
What is Process Builder in Salesforce?
In Salesforce, Process Builder is an automation tool that allows us to create a sequence of actions or evaluate criteria for records. In Process Builder we create a process of activities and this process is similar to Flows in Salesforce. Process Builder offers a range of the following actions that can be performed with Process Builder.
- Creating Records: This action helps us to create a new record and assign specific field values to that record.
- Updating Records: This feature allows you to edit or update one or more records that are associated with the original record triggering the process. This can be achieved either by manually entering the records or by utilizing records from a related source.
- Posting on Chatter: We can also post on Chatter with the help of Process Builder, which allows sharing of information with other users.
- Launching or Triggering the Flow: With the help of Process Builder, we can launch the flow from the process to automate another process.
- Automatic Submit Record for Approval: We can only submit the record that started our process and another record cannot be automatically submitted.
Create a Process with Process Builder in Salesforce Lightning
To create a Process with Process Builder in Salesforce Lightning, first log in to your Salesforce account and follow the below steps.
Step-1: On the Setup of Salesforce Lighting, click on the Quick Find box and search for Process Builder then in the dropdown select Process Builder under the heading Process Automation.
Step-2: In the Process Builder, click on the New button to create a new process.
Step-3: In this step, we have to enter the required fields to create a new process. In the Process Name field enter the name of the process. In this case, I have named it Custom Process. In the Description field add a description of the new process and then in the field, The Process starts when click on the dropdown arrow and select A record changes from the options.
It means that a process will be created when there is a change in a record. After entering these files click on the Save button.
Step-4: As we click on the Save button, we can see the basic structure of Process Builder in Salesforce. In this structure first, click on Add Object button then on the right side of the screen, choose the object from the Object field. In the field select the process active the radio button When a record is created or edited and then click on the Save button.
Step-5: After creating an object, click on Add Criteria button then on the right side of the screen and now we have to define the criteria for this Action Group by filling following fields.
- In the Criteria Name field enter the name of the criteria. I have named it Stage = Opportunity won, you can name the criteria by following the same manner.
- In the Criteria for Executing Actions field activate the radio button Conditions are met.
- In the Set Conditions section, select the values for Field, Operator, Type, and Value. Here, we can add another row by clicking on Add Row.
- In the Conditions field activate the radio button All of the conditions are met (AND)
- In last, click on the Save button.
Step-6: After saving the process, click on the Activate button to activate the process.
Step-7: As we click on Activate, a pop-up window will appear on the screen. Here we have to click on Confirm button.
As we click on Confirm button, the Process will be created and it will be visible in the Process Builder as shown in the picture below.
Now we have successfully created and activated the Process with the help of Process Builder in Salesforce Lightning.
Create a Process with Process Builder in Salesforce Classic
The Process Builder tool is available in Salesforce Classic also. Let’s see the method to create a Process with Process Builder in the Classic edition of Salesforce. Now, Login to the Salesforce account and follow the steps below.
Step-1: On logging in we are on the home page of Salesforce Classic and from here to access the Process Builder, first go to the Setup page by clicking on the Setup tab.
Step-2: On the Setup page go to the Quick Find box search for Process Builder and click on the same from the options in the dropdown.
Step-3: In the Salesforce Process Builder, click on the New button to create a new process.
Step-4: In this step, we can see a basic structure of the Process builder, and here first click on the Add Object button and then on the right side of the screen specify the object by filling in the following fields.
- In the Object field, select an object from the list of objects. In this case, I have selected the object Opportunity.
- In the Start the Process field there will be two options to begin the process in the selected condition. In this case, I have selected the option only when a record is created which means the process will start when a record will be created.
- Click on the Save button.
Step-5: To add criteria for the process, click on the Add Criteria button then on the right side of the screen define criteria by filling up the following fields.
- In the Criteria Name, write the name of the criteria. I have named it Stage = Closed Won And Amount>500. You can give a different name to the criteria in the same manner.
- In the field Criteria for Executing Actions, activate the radio button Conditions are met, which means the process will run when the specified conditions will be met.
Step-6: As we click on Field, a pop-up window will appear. In this window select the type according to the object you have selected. Since I had selected Opportunity as an object so, I have selected Stage as an opportunity type.
After selecting the field type click on the Choose button.
Step -7: After selecting the field, click on the Value field in the Set Conditions section, and from the dropdown, select one value. I have selected Closed Won as a value dor opportunity. After selecting value click on the Save button.
Step-8: In the Process Builder structure click on Add Action button and on the right side of the screen fill in the required fields to define action. In Action Type select the action for the process, then in the Action Name give a name to this action. In this case, I have selected flows as Action Type and named it Opportunity flow. In the Flow field select Find an auto-launched flow and then click on the Save button.
Step-9: Now click on the Activate button at the top of the screen to activate this process.
as we click on Activate a pop-up window will appear, and here click on the Confirm button for activation of the process.
On clicking the Confirm button the process will be created and activated and we can see this activated process in the Salesforce Process Builder as shown in the picture below.
Now we have successfully created and activated a process with the help of Process Builder in Salesforce Classic.
In this tutorial, we have learned about the functionalities and uses of Salesforce Process Builder, and with the help of this we can automate business processes. Along with that, we created a process with Process Builder in Salesforce Classic and Salesforce Lightning with the help of the steps above.
You may like to read:
- How to Create Briefcase Builder in Salesforce
- Chatter not available in Salesforce Lightning App Builder
- How to Create Custom Object with Schema Builder in Salesforce
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.