In this Salesforce tutorial, we will learn about adding new opportunities under Accounts in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic editions.
Adding Opportunities in Salesforce Accounts
In Salesforce, adding opportunity records to accounts is a process of associating potential sales opportunities with specific customer accounts.
The customer relationship management tool (CRM) of Salesforce allows us to manage sales, marketing, customer service, and opportunities that are crucial parts of the sales process, and adding opportunities to accounts helps us to keep a detailed record of potential sales, of the specific account.
While working for an organization that provides solutions to businesses and the company uses Salesforce as a CRM tool to manage customer information and sales activities, I was asked to add opportunities to the account of a company that is our potential customer and when they were interested in our software for their inventory management. They have expressed a desire to explore our solutions further.
In this scenario, I decided to add an opportunity to track the sales for this account. In the below steps, I will explain to you how I handled this situation and came up with a solution for this issue.
Add a new Opportunity to Accounts in Salesforce Lightning
To add a new Opportunity to Accounts in Salesforce Lightning, first log in to your Salesforce account and follow the steps below.
Step-1: On the Setup page of Salesforce Lighting, click on the App launcher (9 dots) and from the dropdown click on View All.
Step-2: As we click on View All, the App Launcher will display all applications. Here, click on the Sales Application as shown in the picture below.
Step-3: In the lightning Sales Application, we can see a list of tabs. Click on the Accounts tab to access the accounts to add opportunities.
Step-4: In the Accounts window, select an account in which you have to add opportunities. In this case, I have selected the account Edge Communications to add new Opportunities.
Step-5: In the selected account, click on the button New Opportunity that is on the top of the screen.
Step-6: In this step, we will enter the fields in the form to create a new opportunity for the account.
- In the Opportunity Name field enter the appropriate name for the opportunity for example Smith Manufacturing – New Product Launch.
- In the Close date select the date to close this opportunity.
- In the Stage field select the current status of the opportunity. In this example, I have selected Stage as Proposal/Price Quote.
- In the Amount field enter the amount for the new Opportunity for example, I have entered the amount 3000000.
- In the Next Step enter the follow-up for this opportunity, it is optional to enter this field. For example, I have added the next step as a Product Demo.
- In last click on the Save button to apply changes.
As we click on the Save button the newly created opportunity will be added to the opportunities of the Account as shown in the picture below.
Now we have successfully added an opportunity to the account in Salesforce Lightning.
Add a new Opportunity to Accounts in Salesforce Classic
To add a new Opportunity to Accounts in Salesforce Classic, log in to your Salesforce account and follow the steps below.
Step-1: In case, you have logged into Salesforce Lightning edition, then to switch to the classic version click on the user profile icon at the upper right corner of the screen.
As we click on the user profile icon it will open a dropdown, In the dropdown click on Switch to Classic.
Step-2: On the Home page of Salesforce Classic, click on the Accounts tab to access the accounts to which you have to add opportunities.
Step-3: In the Accounts window select an account from the list of accounts to which you have to add an opportunity. In this example, I have selected the account Cardone Technologies to add an opportunity.
Step-4: In the selected account, scroll down and go to the section Opportunites. In the opportunities section click on the button New Opportunity.
Step-5: In this step, we will enter the required fields in the Opportunity Information section to create a new opportunity for the account.
- In the Opportunity Name field, we will name this new opportunity. The Opportunity Names should be descriptive enough that anyone looking at them can quickly understand the essence of the opportunity. For example, I have named the opportunity Green Energy – Solar Panel Installation.
- In the Close Date field enter the closing date for this opportunity.
- In the Stage field select the current sales status for this opportunity. In this case, I have selected the Stage field as Develop Proposal.
- After making the above changes click on the Save button.
As we click on the Save button the new opportunity will be added to the opportunities of the selected Account as shown in the picture below.
In this way, we have successfully added opportunities to the account record in Salesforce Classic.
In this Salesforce tutorial, we have learned about Adding Opportunities to the Accounts in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic. Along with this, we discussed the need to add opportunities to the account, and with the help of the examples above we successfully added opportunities to the Accounts.
You may like to read:
- Display Account Fields on an Opportunity Record Page in Salesforce
- Delete and Deactivate Opportunity Stage Picklist Value in Salesforce
- How to Create Opportunity Stage Conversion Report in Salesforce
- How to Change Account Owners in Salesforce
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.