In this Salesforce tutorial, we will learn to Create a Case Report for the Support in Salesforce. Case reports in Salesforce are created generally for the Customer Support report types and it is possible to create a case report for support in Salesforce Lightning and Classic edition as well.
Case Report in Salesforce
In Salesforce, Cases are used to track support issues. For example, when a customer purchases a product or service and calls for help from customer support, the issue will get tracked using a case record.
In tracking the case, the record is saved like the problem, a solution provided, or not, who provided the solution, and the problem solved or not. With the help of a Case Report for Support, the support team can analyze and track the cases of the org.
Michigan Electronics deals in the supply and distribution of electrical appliances and the company uses Salesforce as a primary CRM tool to track customer activities and data.
While working as a System admin for this organization, I was asked to create a custom report on the cases of the customer support team, so, that they could track and manage the cases in a more efficient way and track the current situation of the cases.
With the help of a couple of examples, I will explain the method by which I created the Case Report for Support in Salesforce.
Create a Case Report for Support in Salesforce Lightning
To create a case report for support in Salesforce Lightning, log in to your developer account and follow the steps below.
1. On the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning, click on the App launcher, search for reports, and select Reports under the heading Items.
2. In the reports window, click on the New Report button to create a report.
3. In this step, we have to select the report type for the report, and for that search cases in report type and select standard report type Cases. After selecting the report type, click on the Start Report button.
4. To apply filters in the report, click on the Filters tab in the left sidebar and apply filters on the following fields.
- In the Show Me field, select All Cases to display all cases.
- In the Opened date field, select the range for the cases to display in the report. For example, you can select the current year, current month, previous year, etc. I have selected Opened Date as All Time.
- In the Units field, you can select units as Hours, Days, and Minutes.
5. We are going to create this report from scratch, so we will delete the existing columns. To remove all columns click on the dropdown of the Columns section and select the option Remove All Columns.
6. Search and select the Case Reason in the Group Rows section of the left sidebar to add the case reason field as a group row.
7. In the same way we add columns to the report table. In this example, I have added the columns Account Name and Subject.
8. Now the case report is created, and for better visualization, we will add a chart to the report. To add a chart, click on the Add Chart button that is on the top of the table.
9. After adding the chart click on the Save & Run button to save this report.
10. In this step, enter the following fields to Save this report.
- In the Report Name field, enter the relevant name for the report. In this example, I have entered the report name as a Case report for a support team.
- As we click on the field Report Unique Name, it will auto-fill according to the entered Report Name.
- In the Folder, select the folder that is accessed by the support team.
- After naming and selecting a folder, click on the Save button.
As we click on the Save button, the report will be saved in the supports team folder and it will run in the next window, where we can view all the records related to the report.
Now we have successfully created a Case report for Support in Salesforce Lightning with the help of the above steps.
Create a Case Report for Support in Salesforce Classic
To create a case report for support in Salesforce Classic, navigate to the home page of Classic and follow the steps below.
1. On the Home page of Salesforce Classic, click on the Reports tab.
2. In the Reports and Dashboards window, click the New Report button to create a report.
3. In this step, select the report type for the case report of the support team, and to do that click on the folder Customer Support Reports and select Cases. After selecting the report type, click on the Create button.
4. As we click on the Create button the report table will be created. We will add some filters to generate records and to add filters, go to the Filters section on the top of the table and apply the following filters.
5. Now remove all the columns except Account Name and Subject. To remove the columns drag them to the left side bar.
6. To add a group row we need to change the table format of the report. To change the table format click on the dropdown arrow of Tabular Format and select Summary.
7. In this step we will add the Case Reason field as a group row and for that go to the left sidebar and drag the Case Reason field on the report table to the drop region displaying the message Drop a field here to create a grouping.
8. On adding the Case Reason as a group the report is completed. Now we will add a chart for a better display of the stats of records. To add a chart, click on the Add Chart button that is o the top of the report table.
9. In the chart editor select the X and Y axis for the chart and click on the OK button.
10. Click on the Save button that is on the upper left side of the window.
11. In this step, enter the below fields to save this report.
- In the Report Name field enter the name of the report. I have entered the report name as Case Reports for the Support team.
- Report Unique Name field will auto-fill according to the entered Report Name.
- In the Report Folder, select the folder that is accessed by the support team.
- After entering the above fields, click on the Save and Run Report button.
As we click on the Save and Run Report button, the case report for the support will be saved in the report folder and it will run in the next window where we can view all records of the report.
In this way, with the help of the above steps, we have successfully created a Case Report for Support in Salesforce Classic.
In this Salesforce tutorial, we have learned to create a report on Support Cases in Salesforce and we discussed the method of creating this case report in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic edition. In addition to this, we also added a chart to this report for better visualization of the records in the Case Support report.
You may like to read:
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.