In this Salesforce tutorial, we will learn to Add Fields to a Recently Viewed List in Salesforce. It is possible to modify the list view of objects in both the editions of Salesforce so, we will discuss the method of Adding fields to a Recently Viewed List in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic editions respectively.
While working as a System administrator for an organization that uses Salesforce as their primary CRM tool, I was assigned a task to do some modifications on the list view page of the Opportunity and Campaign objects.
The sales team relies heavily on the Recently Viewed List to quickly access and work with leads and opportunities. However, the standard Recently Viewed List only shows basic information so, I had to add some additional fields to fulfill the requirement of the Sales team.
In the below steps, I will explain the method to add fields to the Recently viewed lists with a couple of examples in the Lightning and Classic editions.
Recently Viewed List in Salesforce
In Salesforce, the Recently Viewed List is a feature in the objects that gives us quick access to the records that have been recently viewed within the application. This feature enhances the productivity of the user by providing a quick interaction with data and records that are currently in use.
We can also modify and customize the list views or recently viewed lists by adding or removing fields from the page layout settings of the object. We can only add a maximum of 10 fields in a list view.
Add Fields to a Recently Viewed List in Salesforce Lightning
To customize a Recently Viewed List by adding a field in list view in Lightning edition, navigate to the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning and follow the below steps.
1. On the Setup page of Lightning, click on the Object Manager in the navigation bar.
2. In the Object Manager, we can see a list of Custom and Standard objects. In the objects list select the object in which you need to modify the Recently Viewed list.
In this example, I have selected the object Opportunites.
3. In the setup window of the selected object, click on the Search Layouts in the left sidebar.
4. In the Search layout setup, click on the dropdown arrow of Default Layout and select Edit.
5. In this step, select a field that you have to add to the list view and then click on the right arrow Add button to push the field in the Selected Fields column.
We can also change the field position in the list view with the help of the Up and Down arrows. After adding the field, click on the Save button to apply changes.
As we click on the Save button the selected field will be added to the list view of the selected object.
In this example, I have added a field in the recently viewed list of the Opportunity object. In the below image, you can see the added field Lead Source is visible in the Recently Viewed list of Opportunities.
In this way, we have successfully customized a list view and added a field in the Recently Viewed List in Salesforce Lightning.
Add Fields to a Recently Viewed List in Salesforce Classic
For adding fields to a Recently Viewed List in Salesforce Classic, log in and switch to Salesforce Classic edition then follow the below steps.
1. On the Home page of Salesforce Classic, click on the Setup tab.
2. In the Setup tab go to the Build section in the left side bar and click on the Customize dropdown.
3. In the Customize dropdown we can a list of objects and from here click on the dropdown of the object in which you have to add a field in the recently viewed list.
4. In the Search Layouts setup window, click on the Edit button on the Search Results layout.
5. In the edit window of the search layout, select a field from the column
As we click on the Save button the selected field will be added in the Recently Viewed list of the object Campaign.
Now open the object tab in which you have added the field in the recently viewed list. I have added the field in the object Camapaign so, you can in the below picture the added field Owner alias is visible in the Recently viewed list of Campaigns.
In this way, we have successfully customized and added a field to a Recently Viewed list in Salesforce Classic with the help of the above steps.
In this Salesforce tutorial, we have learned about customizing and adding fields to a Recently Viewed List, and with the help of a couple of examples we discussed the method of adding fields to recently viewed lists in Salesforce Lightning and Classic editions respectively.
Along with this we also learned about the Recently Viewed lists and their functionalities in Salesforce.
You may like to read:
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.