In this Salesforce tutorial, we will learn how to clone an Opportunity in Salesforce. The feature of cloning an opportunity is available in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic versions.
Opportunity Cloning in Salesforce
In Salesforce, cloning of opportunities is not an inbuilt feature but it is the process of making a copy, duplicate, or clone of a sales opportunity with similar details. Cloning opportunities proved to be efficient such as when you have a similar sales opportunity and you want to save time by copying the details of an existing one.
Considerations for Cloning Opportunities
- If the record you’re cloning or a related record contains a field you don’t have access to, the field in the new record is blank.
- If the opportunity record contains a field you have read-only access to, the field in the new cloned record will be blank. However, if a related record contains a field you have read-only access to, the field value will be visible in the new record.
- If a related record in the opportunity includes a custom field configured to contain a unique value, you have to delete the value before cloning the opportunity.
- If an opportunity consists of a related contact role, product, and product schedule records, they can’t total more than 999.
- If you are cloning the opportunity with products, the products must be active.
Clone an Opportunity in Salesforce Lightning
To Clone Opportunities in Salesforce Lightning, first log in to your developer account and follow the below steps.
1. After logging into your Salesforce developer account, navigate to the setup of Salesforce Lighting, and for that click on the settings icon on the upper right side of the screen and select Setup.
2. On the Setup page of lighting, click on the App Launcher, search for the Sales app, and select Sales under the heading Apps.
3. In the lightning Sales app of the org. click on the Opportunities tab.
4. In the Opportunities window, we can see a list of opportunities records and from here select an opportunity that you want to clone. In this example, I have selected the opportunity Edge Emergency generators.
5. On the record page of the selected opportunity, click on the Clone button. In case, the clone button is not visible on the record page then click on the dropdown near to Edit button.
6. As we click on the Clone button, a new screen will appear showing the details of the opportunities, and from here we can change the Basic and additional information for the clone of this opportunity.
In this example, I have changed the Opportunity Name, Order Number, and Tracking Number for the cloned opportunity.
After making the changes in the details, click on the Save button.
As we click on the Save button, a clone of the selected opportunity will be created with the changes we have made in the above step.
Now we have successfully cloned an Opportunity in Salesforce Lightning with the help of the above steps.
Clone an Opportunity in Salesforce Classic
In order to clone an opportunity in Salesforce Classic, log in to your Salesforce account and follow the below steps.
1. In case you have logged in to the Lighting edition then you need to switch to in Classic version, to do that click on the user profile on the upper right side of the screen, and from the options click on Switch to Salesforce Classic.
2. On the Home page of Salesforce Classic, click on the Opportunities tab to access the opportunity record.
3. In the Opportunities tab, we can see a list of recently viewed opportunities and reports related to the opportunities. To view all opportunity records, click on the Go button.
4. In this step, select an opportunity account to clone. In this example, I have selected the opportunity named Cardone Logistics to create a clone.
5. On the record page of the opportunity, go to the Opportunity details section and click on the Clone button. In case, you have added products to the opportunity, it will ask if you want to clone this opportunity, with or without products.
In this example, I have cloned this opportunity without the products.
6. In the next step, the opportunity record will open in the edit window where we can edit records of Opportunity information and Additional information.
After making the changes in the details click on the Save button.
As we click on the Save button, a clone of the selected opportunity record will be created with the changes we have made in the edit window.
In this way, we have successfully cloned an Opportunity in Salesforce Classic with the help of the steps above.
In this Salesforce tutorial, we learned about Opportunity Cloning in Salesforce, and with the help of the examples above, we successfully cloned the opportunities as a new record in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic.
Along with this, we also discussed the conditions we should consider while cloning an Opportunity record in Salesforce.
You may like to read:
- How to Set Up Opportunity Teams and Opportunity Splits in Salesforce
- How to Create Opportunities By Stage Report in Salesforce
- How to Create a Report on Opportunities Stage Duration in Salesforce
- How to Import Opportunities into Salesforce via Data Loader
- How to Update Picklist (multi-select) Values in Salesforce with Data Loader
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.