In this Salesforce tutorial, we will learn about setting up and creating a knowledge article in Salesforce. We will first, set and enable the Knowledge feature in the application and then we will create a knowledge Article. Creating a Knowledge article in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic edition is possible.
Knowledge Article in Salesforce
In Salesforce, Knowledge articles are information documents and these documents can include information on processes, features, and descriptions of the service products.
The Knowledge is the part of Service package in the Salesforce org. and it is a way to create blog articles that are hosted within Salesforce. These articles can be viewed by both external users and internal users of the teams to get insights into the products’ features or other information included in the knowledge articles.
Create a Knowledge Article in Salesforce Lightning
To create a Knowledge Article, we first need to set up the Knowledge feature in Lightning, and for that navigate to the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning and follow the below steps.
1. On the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning, go to the Quick Find box and search then select Knowledge settings.
2. In the setup window of Knowlege Settings, click on the button Enable Salesforce Knowledge.
3. After enabling the Salesforce Knowledge, click on the Edit button of Knowledge settings.
4. In the edit window, go to the section Lightning Knowledge Settings and activate the checkbox Enable Lightning Knowledge then click on the Save button.
After enabling the knowledge, we need to ensure that the user has access as a Knowledge User to create a Knowledge article.
5. Go to the Quick Find box and search then select Users.
6. In the User setup, click on the Edit button of the user account that will create a Knowledge Article.
7. In the Edit window, enable the Knowledge User (if not enabled) then click on the Save button.
We have completed the Setup of Knowledge feature in Salesforce Lightning and in further steps, we will create a knowledge article.
8. On the Setup page of Salesforce Lightning, click on the App Launcher and select the Service Lightning app.
9. In the Service app click on the Knowledge tab.
10. In the Knowledge tab, click on the New button to create a Knowledge article.
11. In this step, enter the fields Title, URL name, and Summary fields. After entering these fields click on the Save button.
For example, I have written the product name in the Title field, and the URL Name will be auto-filled according to the entered title. After that, I have written a product description in the Summary field.
As we click on the Save button, the Knowledge article will be created as shown in the picture and the created article will be in Draft mode.
In this way, we have successfully set and created a Knowledge article in Salesforce Lightning with the help of the above steps.
Create a Knowledge Article in Salesforce Classic
To create a Knowledge article we will first set up the knowledge feature in Salesforce Classic, and for that follow the below steps.
1. On the Home page of Salesforce Classic, click on the Setup tab, which is on the upper left side of the screen.
2. In the Setup of Classic, go to the Quick Find box and search then select Knowledge settings.
3. In the Knowledge settings, click on the button Enable Salesforce Knowledge.
4. After enabling the Salesforce Knowledge feature, go to the Quick Find box in the left sidebar and search then select Users.
5. In the Users setup window, click on the Edit button to the user account to check whether the user can access the Knowledge feature.
6. In the Edit window of the user activate the checkbox of Knowledge User (if not activated earlier) and click on the Save button.
7. Go to the Home page and in the navigation bar click on the (+) icon to view all tabs and from the list of tabs click on the Knowledge tab.
8. In the Knowledge window, click on the Create button to create a new Knowledge article.
9. In this step, we have to enter the fields Title, URL Name, and Summary.
In the Title field, enter the article title and the URL Name field will be auto-filled according to the entered title. In the text-area field, you can write the description or summary of the article.
After entering the above fields, click on the button Save & Close.
As we save the created knowledge article, it will show a success message displaying the Knowledge article is created and saved in a draft.
We can view the created Knowledge article in the Draft list view on the Knowledge tab.
In this way, we have successfully set up the Knowledge feature and created a Knowledge article with the help of the above steps.
In this Salesforce tutorial, we have learned about Creating a Knowledge article in Salesforce Lightning and Salesforce Classic editions with the help of the above examples and we also learned about enabling and setting up of Knowledge feature in Salesforce.
In addition to this, we also learned to enable knowledge users to access knowledge features.
Along with this we also learned about the uses and functionalities of the Knowlege feature in Salesforce.
You may like to read:
I am Bijay Kumar, the founder of SalesforceFAQs.com. Having over 10 years of experience working in salesforce technologies for clients across the world (Canada, Australia, United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, etc.). I am a certified salesforce administrator and expert with experience in developing salesforce applications and projects. My goal is to make it easy for people to learn and use salesforce technologies by providing simple and easy-to-understand solutions. Check out the complete profile on About us.